12:58 AM

The Language Barrier

Language seems to be the main barrier for visitors to Germany. I was in the supermarket the other day and I was looking out for some sunflower oil to cook the vegetables which happened to be my staple diet. Unfortunately I just failed to recall where the mall guys stocked the oil. To add to the problem I didn't know the German for sunflower. Sunflower oil was closest to what we use to cook in India so I had not bothered to experiment with the other cooking oils.
I asked a lady mall assistant in English, stressing on the word "sunflower". She was at a loss to understand so she asked her accomplice for help. Help from three or four people was sought before I was led to the mall supervisor.
Thankfully this guy knew a little broken English and his puzzled face brightened suddenly. "Sonnenblumen" he exclaimed, and took me to the shelf where they kept the sunflower oil. I mentally made a note of the location, lest I find myself at odds once again on my quest for sunflower oil on my next shopping trip.

0 HITCHHIKERS: